|When:||Back to Calendar July 1, 2012 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Repeats:||Weekly on Sunday until December 16, 2012||Where:||Old Fulton Fish Market||✔ Add to Calendar Add to Google Calendar|
New Amsterdam Market is a reinvention of the Public Market, once a prevalent institution in the City of New York. Revived for our present times and needs, New Amsterdam Market will incubate a new and growing economic sector: small businesses such as butchers, grocers, mongers, and other vendors who source, produce, distribute, and sell foods made with regional ingredients as well as carefully selected imports. We are also reintroducing and developing the concept of market fare prepared with regional, seasonal ingredients.
Our vision is to revive the historic Fulton Fish Market, a priceless public legacy that is owned by the people of New York and whose two market sheds have remained empty and unused since 2005. By bringing residents back to the Seaport, we are reviving the East River Market District –a rare fragment of our city’s first port and oldest commercial neighborhood– as a thriving, public destination for all New Yorkers.
New Amsterdam Market is currently held in the parking lot fronting the Fulton Fish Market
New Market Building. This landmarked structure is the last riverfront market house built in the City of New York and was dedicated for public use by Mayor LaGuardia in 1939. The adjacent Tin Building has marked the site of the original Fulton Fish Market since 1831. Public markets have been held in this District since 1642.